GE 44-ton Locomotive
This 44 ton locomotive was built by General Electric (builders #30854) in December 1950 for the Long Island Railroad for use in the Morris Park Shops as a shop switcher. It was numbered 400 and was the only GE 44-tonner owned by the LIRR. It was sold to a scrap dealer in 1963 and later purchased by the Black River and Western Railroad in New Jersey in 1965. It was purchased by the Valley Railroad in 1969 and renumbered #0800 and was used for work trains, dinner trains and other purposes. It was painted in the New Haven RR colors of orange and green. It was leased for a few months during 1973 by Electric Boat of Groton while their 44 tonner was being overhauled.
Although not an original New Haven locomotive, it is similar to others used by the New Haven from 1941 to 1969. A total of 19 units were purchased between 1940 and 1947 and classified as DEY-4, meaning Diesel, Electric, Yard. They had 2 Caterpillar engines each rated at 190 horsepower.
Funding to purchase the locomotive was donated by Liberty Bank and it was brought to the museum in October 1996.
There's no museum history for this asset, yet.