Alco S-4 Locomotive
This switcher was built by the Alco Locomotive Works in Schenectady, NY in September 1955 as Alco Model S-4, 1000 HP diesel electric switcher, builder's number 81401. Central Vermont Railway assigned it #8081, class MS-10J. On March 20, 1981, the locomotive was leased to the Grand Trunk Corporation, but remained assigned to the Central Vermont.
It was sold to K&L Feed in Yantic, Connecticut on December 4, 1987 and renumbered #1. It was purchased by the museum and delivered on July 2, 1997.
Since its arrival the S4 has had a face lift. While scraping the K&L feed paint job off, the original CV logo appeared. More than half the locomotive has been repainted and it looks great.