Donates SW-9 to Museum
acquisitions committee reported that Pfizer donated a SW-9 switcher
locomotive to the museum on February 6, 2002.
It will be moved by rail to the museum in mid-March at a cost to
the museum of slightly less than $1,000.
February 1951 and December 1953, EMD built 815 SW-9s for use in the US
and Canada. They were built with 567B, 12 cylinder, 1200 horsepower
engines and B-B trucks. The
SW-9 has 6 louvers in the battery box behind the cab, two centered
stacks and a full-length radiator grill.
to the committee for all of the work done in obtaining our new
learn how to operate the different equipment that the museum owns?
Paul Shamonis will be holding classes soon for anyone wanting to
be certified to operate equipment.
Current operators should also attend to be requalified.
Give Paul a call if you are interested.
We need someone to take over
and maintain the chapter membership records.
Basically, this involves keeping the membership listing up to
date and adding new members as they are approved at the membership
meeting, processing membership renewals, and printing mailing labels for
the Ghost Train Journal. The
records are in Microsoft Access 2000 format.
For further information, contact Mark Granville.
P & W Excursion
is go for the May 4th P & W excursion.
Veronica is trying to arrange a short stop at Worcester Union
Station if possible.
excursion has been scheduled for September 21st.
It is planned to go to Providence with a 2-hour layover at the
Roger Williams Zoo.
result of Rich Cizik’s posting on
a railroad net forum, we now know a bit more about our 44-ton
44-ton locomotive was built by General Electric (builders number #30854)
in December 1950 for the Long Island Railroad for use in the Morris Park
Shops as a shop switcher. It
was numbered #400 and was the only GE 44-tonner owned by the LIRR.
Photos in “Diesels of the Sunrise Trail”, by John Scala, indicate
that the basic color was gray.
locomotive was sold in August 1963 to H C Lewis, a scrap dealer, who
died before the locomotive could be resold.
His estate sold it to William R Whitehead, Consulting Engineer,
of Whitehouse, NJ, who in 1965, sold it to the Black River & Western
RR. Stephen D Bogen
purchased the 400, in 1969, for use on the Connecticut Valley RR in
Essex, CT. The Valley RR
eventually purchased the unit outright. The locomotive arrived in its
BR&W green and yellow paint. In
1971, it was repainted a dark B&M like red with yellow
“Connecticut Valley” lettering on the hood.
During the late 1970’s, the cab was painted black, and the
hoods orange and the unit was renumbered #0800.
short time during 1973, the locomotive was loaned to Electric Boat’s
Groton Works while their 44-tonner was having its engines overhauled.
With the proceeds from this lease, the Valley overhauled its unit.
appears that one New Haven Railroad 44-tonner is still in existence and
in use at the Tilcon Quarry in Wallingford.
Reopens on May 11th
Hall and Mark
Granville met recently with the Rails-to-Trails Committee
that is planning an extension
of the Airline Trail through the museum area.
Granville presented a show about the museum to the Lions Club
on February 12th.
Summary – January
for January totaled $4,284.95 and came primarily from a roundhouse
window donation, paver sales, donations, membership dues and souvenir
amounted to $3,561.08 and consisted primarily of track ballast and
hardware expenses, maintenance expenses and insurance costs.
January 31, cash on hand totaled $18,083.38.
Roundhouse loan balance was reduced to $1,500 with the payment of an
additional $500. The loan
certificates outstanding currently total $39,500.
Arnold has obtained some new buckets for the Gradall.
Department Listing – as of 3/4/02
– Head (860)666-2386
– Foreman (860)429-8294
– Head (860)742-1640
Robinson - Webmaster (860) 456-4903
of Upcoming Events
- Museum Display at Coin Show
- Museum Display at Little Rhody Show
- Membership Meeting
7 - Business
- CT Eastern Train Show
- Membership Meeting
4 - Spring P
& W Excursion
- Museum Opens for Season
speaker for March 17th will be Bruce
Clouette, a historian from Past, Inc in Storrs.
He will present a slide talk on the “Archeology of New Haven
Roundhouses – What Can We Learn?”
Rhody Train Show
museum has accepted an invitation to set up a display at the Little
Rhody Train Show in West Warwick, RI on Sunday, March 17th.
The show is at the West Warwick Civic Center and runs from 9 AM
to 4 PM. Admission is $5.00
Spring Train Show will be held on Sunday, April 21st.
Help will be needed setting out the signs and publicizing the
Our membership meeting for
April will be held on the 4th Sunday (the 28th)
since we will be busy with our train show on the 3rd Sunday.
audit of the Treasurer’s records for the last fiscal year was
conducted by Bob LaMay and Howard
report on this examination indicated that the records were maintained in
good condition. One suggestion was made that we conduct an inventory of all
of our buildings, equipment, library materials and artifacts.
order to complete this, cooperation will be needed from all members
holding museum property. Please contact our officers (or persons
conducting the inventory) so that we can include all museum property and
make appropriate provisions for storing this material.
New at the Museum
There has been a small electrical fire in the S-4.
The locomotive will be inoperable until some wiring is replaced.
Members have been going to the Kendall Spur to start removing and
stockpiling rail for use at the museum.
Several sections of rail have already been moved to the museum.
All of the equipment on the Hartford line, except for one boxcar,
has been moved inside of the museum in preparation arrival of the SW-9
additional 20 loads of fill has been brought to the museum and spread in
the area heading east from the current end of the track.
This will raise the ground level so that less ballast is needed
to extend the track.
If you missed our February
meeting, you missed an interesting talk.
Our speaker, Al Song, is a
mechanical engineer with the CT-DOT Office of Rail Operations.
He explained how his office is responsible for making sure that
there will be adequate equipment to provide rail service to Connecticut
residents in future years. This
will be done by rehabilitating some current equipment as well as
ordering additional new equipment.
in the News
– Mar 2002:
roundhouse & turntable.
M-6 mockup being loaded on trailer in New Haven for delivery to museum.
& Railroad – April 2002:
M-6 being loaded on trailer.
to the Chapter!
welcome the following new member who was voted into the chapter at the
February 17th meeting.
Yerkes, Tariffville, CT
to Committee Listing
number corrections to the committee listing in the February Bulletin
A listing of department
members appears below. If
your name does not appear and you want to be listed as a department
resource, call Mark Granville at (860)456-3956.
Schnabel – Editor (860)666-2386
Management & Security
Griffin – Head (860)228-9703
– Head (860)423-1878
Laverty – Head (860)429-7961