Home     Equipment & Buildings

Maine Central Railbus #10  (updated 11/18/07)
The railbus was built during the 1930's by the Fairmont Railway Motors Company, Inc. as a 3100 Series A model. It was used by the Maine Central Railroad's mechanical department as an inspection car until the early 1950's until it was purchased by Mr. Allan Thomas of Campton, New Hampshire.

Over the years, #10 was stored in such various locations as Clark's Trading Post in New Hampshire, an automobile dealership in Milford, Connecticut, and a millworking shop in Manchester, Connecticut. In 1995, the Railbus was donated to the Museum by Dick Arnold of Manchester with the stipulation that it be restored to running condition. This was accomplished by Museum members Dick Voorvaart, Paul Shamonis, and Duke York.

Successful test runs were made November 2000. The Railbus is currently undergoing final restoration before being placed on display.

 
Looking into the open "drivers" side door
The engine hood through the door.
the break vacuum gages.
 


Copyright 2002-2007 Connecticut Eastern Chapter, National Railway Historical Society